[CLUE-Tech] Network DD

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 08:54:40 MDT 2002

I'm wondering if your accurately counting the actual bytes going across
the interface.  Your file may be X bytes big but your byte calculation
doesn't account for the tcp wrapper, ip wrapper, or link layer envelope.

I'm not even sure where to get these numbers, but I would suggest doing a
  >/sbin/ifconfig ethX
  >dd if=/dev/random bs=4 count=4 |netcat target.ip.address target-port
  >/sbin/ifconfig ethX

And compare the total transferred bytes between the two ifconfig outputs.
I think they should be more than 16 bytes...

Also keep in mind, IIRC, netcat is doing VERY dumb byte transfers: give it
a byte, it sends a byte.  The SSH tools, on the other hand, may (and this
is pure speculation) be more optimized (especially scp) to moving large
blocks of data, hence they do it with less protocol overhead, hence
faster.

Someone knowledgeable about this stuff should comment, I'm really just
thinking out loud...