[CLUE-Tech] Network DD

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed May 1 14:51:19 MDT 2002

* Michael Robbert (mrobbert at mines.edu) wrote:
> Tim,
> Are you taking into account the amount of time it takes to read the data
> from disk. I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head, but I
> think that you'll want to make sure that all your data is loaded in
> memory before you start timing the data transfer. Also, are you sure
> that there is no other traffic on your network. If you're grabbing data
> from ifconfig it'll be skewed by any other traffic that might hit the
> interface.

Hmm, time to read data from disk.  That is a good point.  I'll have to
take that into account.  And there is other traffic on the wire, but it
is very small.  I am just trying to get some rough idea right now.  This
is a very lightly loaded network.  It just connects my computer to my
wifes computer, with a D-Link switch.

I am going to come up with something more scientific.  I also might try
NetPerf, a benchmark.  I'll see what it says.

Tim