[CLUE-Tech] Alpha Redux

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu May 2 21:14:10 MDT 2002

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Also: Did anyone install RH on theirs, and what did you boot from? I've not
> been able to boot and then install from either CD or floppy. If I try to
> boot from CD, I get errors and it basically can't load image. From floppy, I
> get either an error from anaconda, or else anaconda just hangs (the point at
> which this happens varies).

Well, I tried a debian CD I burned a while back.  I get

dka400.4.0.6.0 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch

which is probably because the old CD player can't read my CDRW media.  It gives
me a different error with a blank CDR, so I guess I can burn one of those and
get it to work.

Factory OpenBSD CDs work fine.

For RedHat, Jef posted some directions here:

http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-tech/2001-December/002426.html

that work with the AlphaBIOS console and floppys (you may be able to modify them
to read from the CD direct).  If you can find the right image on the CD (could
you use linload.exe, generic.img, or does it have to be something special for
SRM? don't know) you can boot it like this:

boot -fi path/to/image dka4 (use the device number for your CDROM).

Does that help?