[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat 7.3

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri May 10 11:11:52 MDT 2002

> Two questions:
>
> 1) Was grub (forget about the mbr for now) actually installed on your
> system?  Do you have /boot/grub with all the stage... files?  If not,
> you need to actually install grub first.

Yeah, I tried installing both grub and lilo, and did verify that they
were installed after booting off of my bootdisk.

> 2) If the answer was yes, all you need to do is actually put the grub
> boot loader in the mbr, i.e.
>
>         (1) Create the correct /boot/grub/menu.lst file
>         (2) From a root console
>                 grub
>                 root (hda0,1)  (my linux partion is /dev/hda2)
>                 setup (hd0)
>                 quit
>         (3) Reboot and enjoy

Ok, I'll give this a shot.  The bizarre thing is that I have 3 identical
machines that were all running 7.1 up until a few days go.  Same
hardware, same bios settings, etc.  All identical in every way.  So,
when I managed to install 7.3 on 2 of the boxes and not the other - I'm
becoming more and more suspicious of the hard drive's MBR being bad than
anything else.  But, I'll still give your commands a shot and see what
happens.

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com