[CLUE-Tech] hostname

David Jackson david.j.jackson at pickledbeans.com
Mon May 13 15:25:12 MDT 2002

Mike --
This is a joke, in honor of my 47 birthday right?
Ok I'll  bite, as you KNOW, Redhat (like Debian and Solaris) are use
System V rc scripts. which means you have to look at least 2 places,
depending on the problem:

/etc/hosts (file)
/etc/sysconfig/network (file)
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices (directory)

Dabean(sic)uses:
/etc/hosts
/etc/hostname
/etc/network/

Solaris uses
/etc/hosts
/etc/hostname.nic_id (eth0 or whatever).

Note: Understanding that Redhat uses a Systems V bases scripting for startup,
is actually pretty important as far as troubleshooting, once you get beyond
the "wizards"

HTH,
David

I've left space below for someone else to insert the "useal and customary"
"Red(Bloat|BUG)" rant:

------- Insert RedBloat rant here ----