[CLUE-Tech] hostname

Warren warren at guano.org
Mon May 13 16:41:49 MDT 2002

Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

 > Does anybody know the file where the hostname is stored at in
 > Red Hat?

Anytime I am on an unfamiliar *nix, I always used a recursive grep to
find the pattern I'm looking for.  Such as:

 # grep -r "<pattern>" *
 # grep -r "<pattern>" *.*
 # grep -r "<pattern>" .*

The more subdirectories you're searching through, the longer it's going
to take, of course, so if you can narrow it down to a main directory
like /etc or /home or whatever, the faster it'll be.

You might want to use the switch (can't think of what it is now) to
ignore binary files.

I always come across machines where various switches inexplicably don't
work, so I've had to toy with that, too.

 --

 </W>