[CLUE-Tech] My Linux networking to W2K via router

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue May 14 19:17:54 MDT 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:34:20AM -0600, Jim Ockers wrote:

> According to the routing table you showed from the Linux system, it has
> the same IP address as the W2K system.

??

Can you explain that? Maybe I just don't know how to interpret a routing
table, but I don't understand where you are seeing that. I *have* seen
Mark's /etc/hosts, and it says:

  192.168.1.3     c211247-c   c211247-c.arvada1.co.home.com

which is consistent with Mark's diagram and different from both Windows
hosts. Two things have occurred to me:

 * I'm not sure the Linux box knows its own name is c211247-c
 * He can't ping either Windows box from the other, which strongly
   suggests to me that the problem may be in his Windoze configuration,
   and not a Linux problem at all

BTW, I pointed Mark to this list because I'd looked over his stuff and
found the issue to be beyond my modest networking knowledge.

Mark, maybe you should try something other than pinging -- say, start
up IIS on one of your Windows boxes and see if you can access it thru
HTTP. It seems conceivable that the Windows machines are set up to
refuse ICMP packets, but are otherwise accessible.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com