[CLUE-Tech] "Where the beef" with Sun/Cobalt?

Mike Benavides tipsrules99 at attbi.com
Sat May 18 10:24:46 MDT 2002

>David,
>
>Single quotes go inside double quotes which usually means someone
>quoting someone else.  Such as if I quote you, I'd do double quotes, but
>if someone quotes me who qutoes you, the single quotes go inside double
>quotes, like so if they quote me:  Kevin's "I don't think your 'should I
>have single quoted that statement' " doesn't mean a hill of beans, but
>don't start a flame war Kevin ;-)
>
>Kevin
>
>?David Jackson wrote:
>
>>First question (OT), should I have single quoted that statemant above?
>>
>>Second, I've come across a couple hosting  companies who advertsize that
>>they don't use Cobalt servers? Outside of the fact that a Linux copany
>>"souled" out Sun? What's the complaint with Sun/Cobalt?
>>
>>TIA,
>>David
>>--

Gentleman,

The answer could be found with Sun's departure of the Linux supporter's
in managament shakeup.
"SearchSolaris:  Analysis:  Sun Execs Could be Quitting  Over Linux
Strategy"

    "Over the past few weeks Sun has lost five major executives,
    including President and COO Ed Zander and Stephen DeWitt, a key
    player in Sun's Linux strategy. An informal SearchSolaris poll has
    found that nearly half of respondents think these resignations are a
    sign that Sun is going into a tailspin from which it may not be able
    to recover. Another half say their faith in Sun is unshaken in the
    wake of this executive exodus.

    "Analysts say these high-level execs could be departing because of
    disagreements about how the company should position itself for the
    future, and how it should go about fending off increasing
    competition from Linux vendors.

    "Linux/x86 systems have made major gains recently in the area of
    price/performance, say analysts. In the past, folks who wanted to
    take advantage of the x86 architecture were forced to go with
    Windows, but this wasn't a palatable choice for loyal Unix users. As
    a result, people looked to Sun and its Solaris on Sparc model..."

Without a clear strategy and goals ISPs went with IBM Linux
machines....instead of Cobalts...

Mike