[CLUE-Tech] Qt/Java developers?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue May 21 18:37:02 MDT 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 09:13 am, Dan Harris wrote:

> On the Java side, I see some very good UI designers and IDE's.  My main
> concern with Java is the speed of the user interface.  I'm not sure if Java
> or the coder is to blame , but it seems that every Java app I've used has a
> 'clunky' look and feel to it, and the interface seems very slow to react,
> even on the fastest CPU's.  This app NEEDS to be very fast, so I'm not sure
> if Java will fit the bill or not.

I would recommend writing and running a Java GUI within the J2SE 1.4 (aka JDK
1.4).  This is the latest version of java and has 30% increase in GUI
response, particularly because Open GL is supported.  I have found that Java
GUIs (even large ones like Forte) peform quite wll on my P2 / 350 MHz box
after upgrading from J2SE 1.3

Check Section 3 in the following document (JFC/Swing Performance)
 + http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/performance.guide.html

> So, here's my questions for all of you:
>
> 1) If I choose the Qt route, can I use KDevelop to write the code, but
> target the win32 platform easily?  Or should I develop on Win32 if I plan
> to target Win32.

Probably with cross-platform compiling.

> 2) What kind of DB support does Qt have?  The VB app uses Jet (Access) for
> a very small database.   I don't need enterprise RDBMS connectivity, just
> something to store simple rows.

QT 3 has excellent DB connectivity.

<> 3) What kind of DB support does Java have?  I know about JDBC, but I want
> something small that can ship with the app.  Again, I don't need Oracle
> support, just something quick to save some simple data.

JDBC *is* small and can ship with the app.  If you want an embedded Java DB,
look to Hypersonic DB (free) or PointBase (unfree).

> 4) How robust is the widget set in Qt?  Does it have all the things I'd
> expect in an MFC-based environment?

No idea.

> 5) is my perceived speed penalty in Java accurate?  Or have I just seen
> poorly/non optimized apps?

It's legitimate, but much better with J2SE 1.4.  In fact, it equals the speed
of C++ applications.

Jeff