[CLUE-Tech] Directory permissions -- problems with '-w--w--w-'

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Wed May 22 11:58:52 MDT 2002

Okay, thanks I found this in /etc/profile:

umask 022

Then changed it to:

umask 027

What I'm looking for is the privacy of each user from all other users
except root.

What would be the appropriate "umask" to achieve that without adversly
affecting the operation of the system?

I found the following explanation:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO-5.html

    5.1 Umask Settings

The umask command can be used to determine the default file creation
mode on your system. It is the octal complement of the desired file
mode. If files are created without any regard to their permissions
settings, the user could inadvertently give read or write permission to
someone that should not have this permission. Typical umask settings
include 022, 027, and 077 (which is the most restrictive). Normally the
umask is set in /etc/profile, so it applies to all users on the system.
The file creation mask can be calculated by subtracting the desired
value from 777. In other words, a umask of 777 would cause newly-created
files to contain no read, write or execute permission for anyone. A mask
of 666 would cause newly-created files to have a mask of 111. For
example, you may have a line that looks like this:

                # Set the user's default umask
                umask 033

Be sure to make root's umask 077, which will disable read, write, and
execute permission for other users, unless explicitly changed using
chmod. In this case, newly-created directories would have 744
permissions, obtained by subtracting 033 from 777. Newly-created files
using the 033 umask would have permissions of 644.

If you are using Red Hat, and adhere to their user and group ID creation
scheme (User Private Groups), it is only necessary to use 002 for a
umask. This is due to the fact that the default configuration is one
user per group.