[CLUE-Tech] I just don't understand it

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed May 22 21:52:24 MDT 2002

Joe Linux wrote:

> Actually as root I change "/home/jl" to be 770 or 750 and then after
> an undetermined but compartively short period of time it gets chanked
> back to 755 which means any other user can look into my "home."

I'd guess this is a mount problem.  Check your fstab for /home and see
if it has specific permissions.  Check all your fstabs if you dual
boot.  Probably the mount man page has more info but I don't have it
handy.

I think a cron job is unlikely--that just sounds stupid.  An rc script
that does something based on umask seems more likely, but still stupid.

Are you using reiserfs?  The chattr error you got would seem to be a
symptom of that.  You might want to check which version and look at the
docs/web pages to see if this is a reiser "feature".