[CLUE-Tech] Sawfish questions

Joe Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu May 23 08:19:50 MDT 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

*snip*

 > alias synth0 opl3
 > options opl3 io=0x388
 > options cs4232 isapnp=1
 >
 > I don't have a clue what any of this means, or even why there isn't a
 > simple command line utility that I have to adjust in one place, rather
 > than adjusting the setterm settings, and then trying to find where else
 > I need to do it as well.  I'm assuming that the first line is referring
 > to my parallel port, the second line my network card, the 3rd line my
 > USB, then sound card for the next 4.  I am unsure of what the last 3
 > lines are for.

The final three are for your sound card as well.

I did a quick search on Google for "screen blanking Linux" and got this:
http://www.patoche.org/LTT/screen/00000088.html

setterm and xset may be the culprits - I don't recall if anyone else
suggested them.

Also, and you may not like this, it may be enabled through the kernel
using apm. Usually this option is for laptops, but it should work for a
desktop with a MB that supports APM. If "Enable Console Blanking using
APM" is set, it might be the culprit.

I assume you've checked your BIOS settings and it's not your BIOS that
is blanking the screen instead of something in Linux. IIRC some
motherboards have power-saving features that might be doing this.

Finally - your frustration with "Linux" is misplaced. Whichever distro
you're using is responsible for setting this up - this is no different
from Microsoft setting a user default in Windows that you don't like
that's not obvious how to turn off - if you can. I've used every "major"
distro, and this isn't endemic to Linux. Only one or two distros
automatically set up screen blanking, that I recall. I've run into many,
many defaults with MS and Apple OSes that are annoying and hard to track
down - it's hardly unique to Linux.

Good luck,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe