[CLUE-Tech] Re:"What other issues did you run into"

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Thu May 23 17:06:03 MDT 2002

Well I gave up on it because it wouldn't allow a user to launch "kppp"
and I couldn't figure out how to fix that.  Then in trying to fix the
"kppp" issue, I always managed to have kppp lock up KDE3.  And I
couldn't straighten that out even if it was a simple reversal of just
one thing I changed previously.  The long and short of it is I need a
system my wife can use and I'm not about to give her the "root" password
to just connect to the Internet.  I'm sure there is a solution, but I
didn't know it, and it certainly wasn't obvious.  Finally I have my
button menu system for ICEwm which I will be talking about at the next
KISS session, so if I were to use RedHat, I would have to figure out if
ICE will run well on it with my button system.  There would be some
benefit to the group in me doing that, but after wasting so much time on
the Mandrake alleged "standard security."  I'm just not up for
additional problems.  At this point in time I would have to rate
Mandrake 8.2 as being much better for that average user than RedHat 7.3;
although there are some very nice things in RedHat 7.3 that I would like
to see implemented in every distribution.  Specifically I like the way
they have some check lists that you simply fill in with a check box GUI,
like the way they add groups to a user.  However if you are using an
older version of RedHat it might not be the same anyway.