[CLUE-Tech] Re:"getting insanely frustrated"

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri May 24 00:17:52 MDT 2002

> I encourage you to learn to compile the kernel. If you want to be really
> paranoid, make a backup of /usr/src/linux (actually should be a symbolic
> link to /usr/src/linux-{kernel version} ) and try things out. You won't
> effect your running system unless you do a "make install" or "make modules
> install". Once you do decide to install a kernel you've compiled, there
> are some things you can do to protect yourself. I always keep a "known
> good" kernel around. Since both lilo and grub will let you select multiple
> kernels to boot, there's always a way back if you build a kernel that
> doesn't work.

Yeah, actually I used to compile my own kernel all the time.  I actually
wrote a quick tutorial on how to do it 4 years ago.  But, that was with
2.2.X, and ever since 2.4.X, I have just gotten incredibly lazy and I
always just look for the rpm :)  I think when I started using ext3, and
when I tried to compile the 2.4.x myself, I saw the word "expieremental"
and got scared.  I figured that Red Hat did more testing than I ever
would have with their "special" kernels, and seeing how Alan Cox works
for Red Hat, I figured they would do a better job compiling than I ever
could.  I could be wrong though...

> I don't know what the APM/PM (yes, there a couple different things in
> there) defaults are. But just become root, cd to /usr/src/linux, and do a
> "make xconfig" (obviously, running X). Nothing there to force you to
> change anything, and you can run through the various settings and look
> around. make xconfig will let you quit without saving changes.

I have never heard of that command before, so I will definitely give it
a shot, and maybe just for kicks I'll recompile my own kernel tomorrow
and see what happens.  I'll report back any results I have.

--
                                 -Mike Staver
                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com
                                  http://www.fimble.com/staver