[CLUE-Tech] finding, sorting and moving selected files via the command line

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Fri May 24 18:37:26 MDT 2002

Hi all,

I've come up with something that I can't seem to find an answer for. I'd
like to move some files from one directory to another based on my
criteria: such as files older than 2 months or files that begin with "A"
or files that are larger than 5k, or any combination of criteria.  Is
this possible?

I've tried using the ls command and looking at sort, find, head, and
other commands to see what combination will work with the redirectors,
but haven't got an answer yet.

Why am I asking this?  Because Nautilus and other window/file managers
can sort the files ascending or descending on file name, date, size, or
whatever by clicking on the "header" of the window and it is easy to
drag and drop the results from the file manager to the desired
directory, but I want to know what the command line equivalent is.  Any
suggestions?

KC