[CLUE-Tech] Sawfish questions

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat May 25 14:00:00 MDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 11:55:04AM -0600, Tim Harris wrote:

> Yeah, people keep saying this, but let me reiterate, this is not just in
> X.  It is also at the console level before I even start X, so I don't
> see how editing an X config file will help.  I'm getting insanely
> frustrated with linux as a desktop at this point if I can't do something
> as simple as adjust the black-out settings for my monitor.

You can probably do it, but you may not be able to do it through runtime
configuration. I suspect it might be a BIOS setting. There's also a kernel
configuration parameter called APM_DISPLAY_BLANK, but most stock kernels
don't have apm enabled ... hmm, you might do a quick check of that. Try
the command

  $ apm

Most likely you will get a message to the effect of "this kernel has no
APM support." If it returns a message about the power supply, that means
you have APM support in the kernel, and it's activated. In which case it's
conceivable that you could solved the problem by compiling a kernel with
APM_DISPLAY_BLANK disabled. Or with APM disabled altogether, if you don't
need it.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA