[CLUE-Tech] Re: "Hmm... I I disagree."

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sat May 25 19:19:10 MDT 2002

On 05-23 22:16, David Anselmi wrote:
> Joe Linux wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand why people can't just live and let live.
>
> Try following 300+ emails each day on various mailing lists.  People who
> feel strongly about netiquette feel that way because it makes a big
> difference to them.

I agree with Dave here. Avidly. Top-posting vs. bottom posting is no more a
"personal style" issue than left-side of the road vs. right-side of the road
driving (in the U.S.) is. Top-posting has only come into use in the past few
years, and it's mostly out of ignorance combined with badly-written email
clients. Inter-office emails from folks not steeped in the culture I can
take, but trying to follow a technical thread that has the occasional
top-poster is awful. I try to stay quiet about it, but since the topic came
up...let me just say it matters.

<snip>

> There are plenty of good papers on the 'net about this, and we should
> reference them on our list charters but I don't have them handy.

Here's one:
http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html

They basically conclude that there is really no valid reason to top-post,
and I could not agree more...esp. when it comes to technical topics among
and with folks who are (usually) more steeped in the culture and history of
the Internet.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome