[CLUE-Tech] How cool is MDK?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sun May 26 02:38:53 MDT 2002

Recently, Lynn D. burned some Mandrake 8.2 disks for me.  In a fit of
late-night hacking to get my USB ports turned on in the kernel, I decided to
fire up the upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2.

After an additional tape backup of my /home directories and a quick search of
alt.os.linux.mandrake, I kicked off the upgrade.

I was a bit concerned as I choose the 'upgrade' option and my HDD light
stayed on for many minutes (P2/350).  Finally, the packages selection loaded
and I was off and running.

It was interesting that at the end of the install, I choose to upgrade from
the 'net.  This took a few more minutes and everything went off without a
hitch.   Reboot and viola!

With the release of KDE 3.0, 8.2 seems like a 'skippable' release.  However,
I found some nuggets worth looking at.  For example, Ximian's Evolution seems
like a cool program, especially for Microsoft Outlook users looking for an
Outlook replacement.

In the past, I have typically 'upgraded' by doing a clean install.
Certainly, other distributions have had an 'upgrade' option for some time.
Often, users reported problems.  Good to see that in this specific case, no
problems.

I will have the copies of the 8.2 discs at the next installfest.

Later,
Jeff

P.S.  XF86 4.2 rocks -- Nice to have some better fonts!