[CLUE-Tech] VIM config

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue May 28 23:27:35 MDT 2002

* Matt Gushee (mgushee at havenrock.com) wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> I'm trying to figure out some things about VIM configuration files.
> One thing I would like to be able to do is write my own syntax file
> for a particular file type, and have it include the one provided w/
> the VIM package--rather than copying all the definitions.
>
> I think I may have actually figured it out: by doing a :env command
> from within VIM, I discovered there's a VIMRUNTIME environment
> variable which points to the directory containing configuration and
> syntax files ... so apparently I can do this:
>
>   so $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/foo.vim
>
> to import the default definitions.
>
> The question is: is that what $VIMRUNTIME is *for*? In other words,
> can I rely on the above command to do what it's supposed to?

I have never made a syntax file, so I could be wrong, but -- NO, I don't
think that is what $VIMRUNTIME is for.  VIM sets it on start up to the
default value given at compile time, if it is not set.  It tells VIM
where to find the run time files it needs.  It is the root of a
directory tree.  That tree contains help files, syntax files, and
probably some other stuff.  If you change it, stuff will break.

Don't you just copy your syntax file to the user wide area?  Or am I
missing something.

Tim