[CLUE-Tech] ripping mp3s with grip and rh8 xmms

Adam A. G. Shamblin signal9 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 23:24:45 MST 2002

On 01 Nov 2002 21:00:33 -0700
Jeremy Huber <jhuber at fallenknight.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 18:57, Neal Cassady wrote:
> > I have several mp3s which i cant play with xmms under rh8. redhat, in
> > view of proprietary feature of mp3, RH has disabled xmms from playing
> > it. Though thereÅ› a work around for this as said in RH web page but
> > the link in xmms seems to be dead, (is it busy or was it forcebly downed).

How horrifying!

Have you tried compiling your own xmms?  I run slackware, so packages aren't something I really have to deal with, but I play mp3s thru the xmms I compiled just fine( mind, I only encode my own music to Ogg ).  I would hope that compiling your own xmms would do the trick.

--
Adam A. G. Shamblin	<signal9 at earthlink.net>

And they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
for if you hit a man with a plowshare,
he's going to know he's been hit.