[CLUE-Tech] RHN and up2date

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Fri Nov 15 21:00:20 MST 2002

Was: [CLUE-Tech] Is someone trying to hack me?

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:45:29 -0700 Dave Price <davep at kinaole.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:50:55PM -0700, Kirk Rafferty wrote:
> > If you don't have a subscription to Red Hat Network
> > (rhn.redhat.com), you should really consider doing so.  It's only
> > $60/year/system, and more than worth the price.  And actually, if
> > this is your only Red Hat system, Red Hat gives you a
> > complimentary subcription, so it may even be free for you.
> >
> > This doesn't harden your system, of course, but it goes a long way
> > towards that goal.  I've used RHN for about a month now, and am so
> > happy I don't have to do this manually anymore.
>
> Or run debian - apt-get update is free.
>
> add:
>
> "deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib
> non-free"
>
> to /etc/apt/sources.list and you will get security patches as soon
> as they are released.

I put up this RH7.3 system from an SGI install disk (xfs filesystem) a
couple of months ago, and everything is cool.  I registered for
up2date (RH doesn't squawk about not having a registered copy), and
I've gone through several rounds of security, etc., updates with no
adverse effects.

My only question is this: This appears to offer only heavy duty system
and security updates.  Is there any way to get general updates for
other packages through this service?  I'm still used to the gentoo
approach where they make updates available for everything you have
installed.

Thanks,
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area