dhcp on debian (was: [CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Nov 15 22:02:02 MST 2002

David Anselmi wrote:
> Matt Gushee wrote:
> [...]
>

>> Well, your posts have inspired me to finally get off my butt and take a
>> serious look at my DHCP problem. I found that I was getting the same
>> error messages, so I've just recompiled the kernel on one of my boxes
>> with CONFIG_FILTER enabled, and sho' nuff, DHCP is now working.
>>
>> This thing could stand to be a little better documented. Maybe we should
>> contact the people responsible for documenting the kernel and dhclient,
>> and suggest they put in a note about this problem.

Well, apparently this is actually documented.  On debian it's in:

/usr/share/doc/dhcp-{client|server|relay}/README.gz

which are the docs that come with the sources from ISC.  I guess that's
a reasonable place to put them.  'Though if you read through some of the
stuff you get the feeling you're lucky that you get anything at all.

BTW, there's a bug in the version 2 dhcp-relay man page that's kind of
annoying.  But ISC is only supporting the version 3 code now so it might
be good to use that.  That's dhcp3-{client|server|relay} on debian.