[CLUE-Tech] starting XF86-4 with diffrent mice?

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 12:58:15 MST 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:48:43AM -0700, Dave Price wrote:

> Is there a correct way to invoke startx and specify the mouse that I intend
> to use? (they both show up on /dev/psaux)

Yes.

1> Create TWO 'Section InputDevice'; each using the same driver, but
with a different name (Identifier) and the appropriate options.
2> Create TWO 'Section ServerLayout'; using the same parameters except
for InputDevice and Identifier.

The first ServerLayout in your config file will be the one used by
default.  You can invoke the alternative with 'startx -- -layout
OtherServerLayoutIdentifier'

I'm attaching an XF86Config file that I use on our limited computing
devices where I work; you'll see this very same thing going on in this
config so that developers can use touchscreen/mouse and vesa/accel
drivers wy simply using a -layout option on the command line.

HTH

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
kehellman at yahoo.com               from disclaimer import standard

"Experience is a harsh teacher.  She gives the test before you learn the
lesson."

--Unknown