[CLUE-Tech] cygwin question

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Wed Nov 20 11:04:08 MST 2002

On 11-20 09:30, David Anselmi wrote:
> Jeffery Cann wrote:
> >Whilst running XF86 from within cygwin on a Windoze 2000 machine at
> >work... I fire up an xterm and attempt to telnet to a UNIX server on our
> >LAN.  The telnet command does not get me to a login prompt.  In fact,
> >there is a pause and then the shell command is returned as if I
> >backgrounded the process (i.e., $ telnet myserver &).  Of course, I didn't
> >background it!
>
> Do you mean that it returns but is still running (is listed by ps) or
> just that it returns immediately?
>
> I just tried it, and I get the same behavior--telnet exits immediately
> and quietly.  My guess is that MS telnet doesn't like xterms.  'which
> telnet' tells me /c/WINDOWS/system32/telnet.  It works fine from a
> cygwin bash window, but not from an xterm.  So you might try finding a
> cygwin telnet client.

That's weird. I thought for sure that Cygwin came with one. If you run
setup, is there one available? I just did a brief bit of Googling, and I
found one "using XFree with Cygwin article", that mentioned /usr/bin/telnet.
Sorry for the long link, this is the PDF-converted-to-HTML version:

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:ivLMgsQQrvQC:xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-xfree-ug.pdf+cygwin+telnet+xterm&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8

Isn't the telnet on Windoze a GUI app? Does typing telnet in bash launch the
application?

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net