[CLUE-Tech] man -k stopped working

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Nov 22 19:48:23 MST 2002

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:27:08 -0700
"Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:08:10 -0700
> Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm stumped ...
> >
> > Can you post your /etc/man.config (default is /usr/etc/man.config)?
>
> Sure. Funny thing here, I looked again at makewhatis, and noticed it
> uses a "find {...} -newer /var/cache/man/whatis", I'm guessing when the
> "-u" flag is specified. That would make sense. So I ran it as
> "makewhatis -w", and all is OK. That leaves the question of what catted
> /dev/null to that file. Can't reproduce the error now. But, something
> created an empty/var/cache/man/whatis file, and since nothing changed
> thereafter (WRT man pages), it just stayed empty. Probably never track
> this down. ;-(

This has happened again. Any thoughts on how to pinpoint what process is
truncating the /var/cache/man/whatis file? I guess I'll have to grep the
sysinit scripts, but otherwise, how do I find out what's doing this?

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5