[CLUE-Tech] Motherboard Recommendations

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Nov 22 21:24:33 MST 2002

Matt Gushee wrote:
[...]
> Anybody out there have experience with recent motherboards? I'd
> appreciate your recommendations.

I built 2 machines last year.  One had an ASUS A7V133, the other an
IWill (same VIA chipset, I think).  Both of them just work, and I expect
any that you find will too.

I have a feeling that there are some boards that are better than others,
but I don't know a reliable place to find out.  For example, my kernel
says things that make me think it can't quite tell what my PCI slots are
doing.  But it works (this is the ASUS).

I did read that this (and other) ASUS boards are cheap in that they
don't support the C2 power state for the CPU.  That means that when the
CPU is idle it still uses full power--so it runs hotter than it needs
to.  Again, doesn't seem to hurt anything.

On this board the northbridge chip has its own fan.  After about 6
months it started sounding very bad.  The people at ASUS sent me a new
one without any particular proof on my part that I had one of their
boards.  So that's one anecdote against reliability and for support with
ASUS.

I based my selections on tomshardware.com.  It wasn't the worst way to
go but I definately didn't learn as much as I wanted to.