[CLUE-Tech] my neighbor has an access point

Mike Miller michael at millerville.cc
Sun Nov 24 06:53:55 MST 2002

I can't help you on setting the affinity for your basestation, but I CAN
help on general WiFi security stuff:

IF the laptop has a compatibile chipset (I think there are, like, two
major flavors), and can boot into a wintel OS, head on over to
www.netstumbler.org and check out netstumbler. I can set the card into a
promiscuous mode and give you a GREAT feel for what's unprotected in
your area. (If you've got a GPS unit, it'll evenadd the locations that
the sites correspond to.)

On the U*ix end of things, there's Airsnort http://airsnort.shmoo.com/
Not having used it, I _think_ it's more used for cracking WEP
passphrases once you know what the target network is called.
'Recovering lost keys' in PC whitehat hackerspeak. :P

Make sure you're running 128 bit WEP, change the code occasionally,
change your SSID to something non-default, and this is the big one: Shut
off SSID broadcast!

SSID broadcast is what netstumbler uses to find you...if the basestation
doesn't tell the world who it is, it makes it that much harder to find
it. I suspect a person COULD hack the network, but they'd have to me
much more persistent, and you've already shown there are jucier targets
in the neighborhood.

Mike "Off to go futz with Airsnort!" Miller