[CLUE-Tech] sharing /dev/dsp?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Nov 27 12:25:56 MST 2002

On 27 Nov 2002 12:03:03 -0700
Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 11:26, Dave Price wrote:
> > Query,
> >
> > is the (OSS?) /dev/dsp supposed to be shareable? (By more than one
> > program at a time?
>
> If you use esd (the Enlightenment Sound Daemon), then you can do things
> like:
>
>   esddsp xine &
>   esddsp xmms &

Actually, it's simpler than this. My machine does this all the time,
without my having to explicitly call esddsp. Maybe it's using /dev/audio
instead? I don't know, cuz I've never had to investigate it. All I know is
that I've got esd running. A quick grepping through /etc/rc.d doesn't
reveal what's starting it. Maybe xmms is? Since I don't run Gnome, it's
isn't that either. Maybe all the programs I have which use sound
automatically use esd if it's present?

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5