[CLUE-Tech] MandrakeUpdate?

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Sat Nov 30 22:09:27 MST 2002

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 11:03:41AM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> Dave,
>
> On 8.2, I ran 'drakconf'.  Then I selected System and then 'Software Manager'.
> >From here you can configure your security updates.  The first time I clicked
> on the Mandrake Update button, the software took me through a wizard where I
> was able to select my mirror.
>
> If you run 'MandrakeUpdate' directly, I don't know if you are able to change
> or select a mirror during first time setup.  Now that I have it set up, when
> I run MandrakeUpdate, it takes me to the list of security patches available
> where I can select those I wish to install.
>
> For me it was simple to set this up and I was able to apply ~30 patches in
> about 10 minutes.
>
> So, maybe try configuring using the Software Manager from the 'drakconf'
> application?  Also, if your update sources are out of date, you can manage
> them using the 'Define Sources' button from the Software Manager.

I wound up getting the security patches with:

#!/bin/bash
# man_update - download updates from mandrake mirror
cd ~/src/updates
wget
ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS/*.rpm
echo "as Root, run rpm -Fvh *.rpm "

This works - but I did use the Software Manager GUI to create a
'security update source' which now works as expected.

I would like to know where to get a list of 'general ftp or http
mirrors' similar to apt's sources.list, mostly so that I can get new
packages with 'urpmi' w/out having to load cdrom's all the time -

I would even be willing to load my (3) cdroms onto a server of my own if
I knew how to lay them out to work with urpmi!

aloha,
dave