[CLUE-Tech] Email Delivery Question

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Tue Oct 1 09:50:29 MDT 2002

The key is:

by voldemort.arabie.org (8.11.6/8.11.6) with SMTP id g91CMl830470
	for <randy at arabie.org>; Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:22:48 -0600

Most likely the other machine, h134-210-66-221.seed.net.tw, sent the message
with 'RCPT TO: randy at arabie.org' in the SMTP conversation, but put the To:
line that you see following the DATA statement.  This is a way for spammers
to hide to whom they really sent the message.  Most e-mail clients happily
display the To: line without regard for anything earlier in the messages.

As to how they got through, your domain name, arabie.org resolves by itself.
A simple routine to harvest IP addresses and attempt connections to them on
port 25 and, if connected, harvest information from the headers (see yours
below) and make up some e-mail addresses.  As to getting to your randy
address, that could have been harvested from the net.  Once harvested,
connect to arabie.org on port 25 and send mail until I feel I've spammed
enough.

arabie.org port 25 SMTP headers:
220 voldemort.arabie.org ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Tue, 1 Oct 2002
09:40:37 -0600

So, the non-resolving, non-published name, voldermort, is exposed to the
world.  This could be used to falsify headers going to another machine.  The
output from this appears to be the default sendmail macro listed next to the
SMTPGreeting.  I would change this so that:
(1) The actual name of the machine isn't exposed
(2) You are letting them know that you run sendmail
(3) Hide sendmail version
(4) Hide timezone

These items can be used to falsify e-mail headers and leave all the right
footprints to make it appear as though spam is sent from your machine.  (You
do have relaying turned off, so that's good.  Any test@ addresses in your
logs was just me)

The reason I've gone down this long road is that if with this easily
harvested information your mail server could be blocked by anti-spam
organizations if all or some of the headers appear to be correct.  Then, any
mail server using their databases may block mail from arabie.org.  It's a
nasty trick spammers use, but, it keeps their machines from being blocked an
generally caused a pain in the butt for everyone else.

-d