[CLUE-Tech] problem with pan 0.9.6

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Oct 3 18:12:36 MDT 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:48:26 -0600
don <dlj1148 at attbi.com> wrote:

> Pan has been working fine. downloading, combining and saving messages
> from news groups. yesterday, it stop saving, pan downloads, does a quick
> decode, but nothing is saves, if I use open attachment, the message is
> download but the attachment is not played. I have added nothing to the
> system or changed any pan settings. what are the thoughts on the
> problem.

Wow! I'm running Pan 0.11.2, and it's old. I think they started on 0.12
back in March.

Only thing I can think of is the mime type is wrong. I've seen some news
posters use application/octet-stream when they could use the proper mime
type. Pan doesn't decode these, IIRC.

If you could supply the newsgroup name, and a message ID or subject line,
that would be helpful. There might be a way to look at your logs too, but
Pan's menu structure has changed, so I'm not sure where to look for the
"view log" function.

What Linux distribution are you running? If you're running a fairly recent
one, maybe upgrading to the last 0.11 release would be a good thing to do.
At least that way, you could have a fair chance of getting help on the
pan-users mailing list.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5