[CLUE-Tech] problem with pan 0.9.6

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Thu Oct 3 23:16:36 MDT 2002

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:36:18 -0600
>don <dlj1148 at attbi.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 03 October 2002 06:12 pm, you wrote:

>>>If you could supply the newsgroup name, and a message ID or subject
>>>line, that would be helpful. There might be a way to look at your logs
>>>too

>>the news group is alt.binaries.sounds.mp3
>>
>>this is happening on any mp3 i try and download and save.
>>
>>I am using mandrake 8.0
>>

>I don't keep track of Mandrake. What version of gtk+ do you have? Since
>Pan 0.11.4 is just a minor bugfix release, if you have gtk+-1.2.10-11 (and
>related dependencies) it should work OK (based on 0.11.2 working on my box
>with that gtk+). Everything past that one is on the Gnome2 track, and I
>haven't even tried to get that all going on my box.
>
>Looking at that group, I see gobs of multipart and Yenc. There are lots of
>bugfixes related to multipart in later versions of pan. I know yenc is on
>the roadmap, but whether they've got it in the code yet, I don't know. Not
>in 0.11, though. FWIW, I can't test in that group, because the multiparts
>are all missing pieces, and I don't have the bandwidth to do it anyway.
>You might invoke pan using 'pan --debug > pan.log 2>&1' and see what's in
>the log file.
>
>Sorry, I can't remember any particulars from the 0.9 release, even though
>I was beta-testing from 0.8 through 0.11. The only thing that comes to
>mind for big multiparts is to use a very large cache size. Other than
>that, I don't know.
>
>jed

I'm running pan-0.13.0-2mdk on Mandrake 9 and it has been pretty solid.
Decodes yenc
encoded files no problem. I found that a lot of the pan versions through
the beta (cooker)
releases were ..... well, somewhat flawed :-) I'd upgrade to this
version if the dependencies
don't stop you. But I've had various problems of this sort and blowing
away ~/.pan seemed
to help.

--

Mark Horning