[CLUE-Tech] Handspring Visor, USB CD-RW, etc. on Mandrake 8.2

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Oct 9 11:37:23 MDT 2002

* Keith Christian (keithchristian at yahoo.com) wrote:
> My Mandrake 8.2 system picks up some sort of USB device (I have two USB ports
> on the machine.)
>
> I have two USB device questions.....
>
> 1. Is anyone regularly syncing their Visor Deluxe (2000 model, 8mb ram) with
> this version of Mandrake?  If so, exactly how did you set it up, get the USB
> port and Visor cradle recognized, etc?

I have never done it on Mandrake, but it should not be
Mandrake-specific.  You need general usb support (of course), and then
you also need usbserial and visor available (generally as modules).
Check to see if you have those modules in:

/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/usb/serial

If so, no recompile is needed.  Just modprobe those, and point your
syncing program to /dev/ttyUSB01.  You may need to make sure you have
read-write access to that device.  I generally use JPilot to sync.

The visor will not show up as a usb device until you hit the hotsync
button, so keep that in mind.  When you sync, fist hit the button on the
cradle, and then tell the software on the pc to sync.

Tim