[CLUE-Tech] PHP Sessions and Cookies: Brain Cramp

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Oct 12 16:01:59 MDT 2002

Hi Folks

I'm stuck. I must be missing something obvious, so clearly, I won't see
it. ;-)

I have this php/mysql thing I'm writing, and it has user accounts and
authentication of same.

The login.php prints a form that calls authenticate.php. authenticate.php
does a session_start() if the user/pass is good, and then does a location
header to redirect to the main page.

What I don't know, is at what point in this process the session cookie
would be set. And, just to see if anything at all is working, I put a
session_start() at the top of the login.php script. The thing is, no
cookie is being set. I've turned off privoxy, and checked all my cookie
settings in Galeon. Tried with Mozilla too.

So, I deleted some cookies for another site, and logged in, and yes,
cookies are in general working.

So, I'm sorta stuck now, trying to figure out why the whole login thing
isn't working. It's a RH7.2 box, running Apache 1.3 and PHP4.

TIA
jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5