[CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Sun Oct 13 08:23:48 MDT 2002

As I mentioned, I'm giving debian a try for the first time.

I'm going to build myself an SMP kernel.  I've installed the kernel-source-2.4.18-5 and
the kernel-package packages w/ apt-get.

I understand the kernel-package package is a toolset used to build the kernel the
"debian way".  I've found some documentation for the procedure.

I'm running into erros w/ the make xconfig command.  I get this error:

bash-2.05a$ make xconfig
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts kconfig.tk
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/linux/kernel-source-2.4.18/scripts'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -c -o tkparse.o tkparse.c
tkparse.c:48: stdio.h: No such file or directory
tkparse.c:49: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
tkparse.c:50: string.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [tkparse.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/linux/kernel-source-2.4.18/scripts'
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
bash-2.05a$

It looks to me like the make is trying to build the tk based xconfig app, but can't find
some of the headers it needs.  I've got tk8.3 & tk8.3-dev isntalled.  Does anyone know
where would these other headers be or what package they belong to?

TIA
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy