[CLUE-Tech] PHP Sessions and Cookies: Brain Cramp

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Oct 13 09:18:39 MDT 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 01:48:15 -0600
Keith Hellman <kehellman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> All right, wait a minute - before we start flinging commands into
> web servers, can we first get the protocol straight.
>
> The correct syntax for GET is:  "GET PATH VERSION\r\n\r\n".  This
> returns headers.  If you use GET like this:  "GET PATH\r\n\r\n", then
> many web servers will simply return the document contents, without any
> HTTP headers, which is where cookies live.  My impression is that this
> is incorrect since the HTTP requires and allows only the GET PATH
> VERSION syntax for a request.

But Keith, when something which was working stops, the natural impulse to
do at least a little flinging. ;-)

I, of course, knew this, but conveniently forgot it as well. Part of the
trouble with doing something so little, and so infrequently. You've also
brought to my attention that my copy of the O'Reilly HTTP quick reference
is nowhere in sight.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5