[CLUE-Tech] Home network question

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Oct 18 10:15:39 MDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:34:24AM -0600, David Willson wrote:
> Simplest:           You could create a DHCP reservation for each mac
> address.

Well, I'm not sure I can do that. One thing I forgot to mention is that
my DHCP server is my Cisco 678 router; it is configurable, but only up
to a point. To have an actual computer as a DHCP server, I'd have to buy
a new computer (on the one machine I have that could possibly perform
that role, all my expansion slots are in use, and I'm not willing to
give up my video card, my sound card, or my SCSI controller). But I'll
review what I can and can't do with the Cisco.

> Weirdest:           You could use Samba, and it's broadcast/WINS
> name-resolution.

I may want to do that, partly because I want to learn more about Samba,
and partly to accommodate the occasional need to connect with my wife's
Win98 box. But I've made several attempts to get Samba running,
seemingly doing everything correctly, and it has never worked. I suspect
it may be another of those weird undocumented cases, like the
DHCP/kernel options thing.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:32:07AM -0600, Adam A. G. Shamblin wrote:

> At this point in a conversation about dhcp, I usually ask why it is necessary to run dhcp on such a small network.

That's a good question. The only sensible answer I have at the moment is
that, although it's a very small network, it doesn't always have all the
same machines on it--though they don't change as often as I originally
expected.

Thanks for the good suggestions, everyone.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)