[CLUE-Tech] OT Funky E-Mail Messages

Paul Bille Paul at eBille.cudenver.edu
Fri Oct 18 15:35:59 MDT 2002

I've been receiving e-mail messages lately with the following:

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>
<iframe src=cid:J5X496Ef2Vs0 height=0 width=0>
</iframe>
<FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

There appears to be no body to the message.  I'm unfamiliar with the
cid: protocol but I'm guessing the source should be included as an
attachment.  There is no attachment.  Further there is no file on my
system with the name j5x4 . . .

This particular message came from webmaster at 50states.com yesterday
however I just got another today from smiley5646 at aol.com.

Is this something going around?  Is it something malicious that is being
stripped for my protection?

Am I missing something?  Is there some application I should be running
to enable a new cid: protocol?

Thanks,

Paul