[CLUE-Tech] Home network question

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sat Oct 19 08:07:28 MDT 2002

On Friday, 18 October 2002 at 23:08:18 -0600, David Willson wrote:
> So, on the name-resolution w/DHCP thing, we're down to this question:
> How do you get the DHCP server to update the DNS?  Does anyone know?
> Maybe this would make a good talk for a CLUE session?

Looking at my O'Reilly "DNS and BIND" (4th Ed), it says
BIND 8 and 9 support the dynamic update facility established in
RFC 2136 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2136.html>.

Reading the section on dynmaic dns support in BIND, it says that most
dhcp servers that send the updates use nsupdate.  On my debian (woody)
box here that is /usr/bin/nsupdate.

I would check the dhcpd.conf man page to see if you version of dhcpd
supports dynamic updates.

BTW.  When I googled for the search strings dhcpd + "dynmaic dns" the
first page of hits were related to vulnerabilites, the top link was
to a CERT advisory.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy