[CLUE-Tech] Syncing between server and laptop?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Oct 19 21:16:23 MDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 20:41, Keith Hellman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 07:32:47PM -0600, Jeffery Cann wrote:
>  What's the best way to keep files in sync between my laptop and server, given
> > that I am taking the laptop around my house without a network connection?
> >
> rsync

Absolutely, rsync is very helpful!

But be warned--it does synchronization in *one* direction only.  So if
files have changed on just one machine, than thats fine.  But if files
or directories have changed on both machines then you need to be careful
about conflicting changes.  The rsync utility isn't capable of doing any
sort of merges--it will simply over-write.  And always double-check the
rsync direction since watching your days' work being over-written in a
few seconds due to a small think-o is a bummer.  I've done it.  :-/

If you frequently move between two or more machines you may want to
consider some sort of SCM-like tool such as CVS to more gracefully
handle merges and reduce the likelihood of accidents.  Or you can try to
maintain some kind of discipline (perhaps a location-oriented directory
structure?) so that you won't be likely to create conflicting changes.

good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483