dhcp on debian (was: [CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian)

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sun Oct 20 08:27:02 MDT 2002

On Saturday, 19 October 2002 at 18:33:34 -0600, David Anselmi wrote:
> Matt Gushee wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >Well, your posts have inspired me to finally get off my butt and take a
> >serious look at my DHCP problem. I found that I was getting the same
> >error messages, so I've just recompiled the kernel on one of my boxes
> >with CONFIG_FILTER enabled, and sho' nuff, DHCP is now working.
> >
> >This thing could stand to be a little better documented. Maybe we should
> >contact the people responsible for documenting the kernel and dhclient,
> >and suggest they put in a note about this problem.
> >

> I didn't doubt that you were having problems Matt, just wouldn't believe
> that it was insolvable until I looked at it.  I lucked out that Randy
> hit on the fix because I'm not sure that I would have ;-)
>
> It would be nice if this were better documented (especially if dhcpcd
> works the same way).  I would be interested to see the discussion if you
> suggest a change--where do the gurus think this should be documented.
>
> Have you noticed that when you install a debian kernel they put the
> config in /boot?  So you might diff your kernel config against an
> "official" one to see if anything jumps out.

I did get my kernel recompiled, and took a close inspection of the help
notes available for CONFIG_FILTER, which is under the networking options.
There is no mention that this it is necessary for DHCP to work.  Here is
the text--->

CONFIG_FILTER:

The Linux Socket Filter is derived from the Berkeley Packet Filter.
If you say Y here, user-space programs can attach a filter to any
socket and thereby tell the kernel that it should allow or disallow
certain types of data to get through the socket.  Linux Socket
Filtering works on all socket types except TCP for now.  See the
text file Documentation/networking/filter.txt for more
information.

You need to say Y here if you want to use PPP packet filtering
(see the CONFIG_PPP_FILTER option below).

If unsure, say N.
There is no mention of DHCP in the filter.txt file referrence, either.

To whom should I suggest at change?  Does Debain build the help bits-n-pieces
that come with the kernel soruces, or does this go up to the kernel maintainers?

IMO, the kernel help notes available when configuring the kernel are the
best place for this.

I've been using DHCP here at home for almost 2 years now, and I've never had this
occur.  So, either it is suggested/mentioned in other Distro's (Gentoo & RH) or I
just got lucky...Now that I think about it, on my RH box I had it compiled in
'cause I was running packet filtering.  I don't have a RH box w/ the kernel sources
available to check this out on.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy