[CLUE-Tech] sound card config

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sun Oct 20 19:48:20 MDT 2002

I've never actually configured a sound card on linux...but am trying now.

I've got a Sound Blaster PCI 128.  I compiled sound support into my kernel,
the ES1371.

dmesg shows this info on the driver:

es1371: version v0.30 time 16:20:09 Oct 20 2002

But that is it, nothing about the card.

I thought that was all I would need to do, but so far I've got no sound.

Looking at some debian doco, and plowing through google groups, it seems I
should be able to find info on my config in /proc/sound.  But, I have no
/proc/sound.

Looking in /proc/ioports I do find this:

cc00-cc3f : Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI]

But, looking in /proc/interrupts, there is no entry for my sound card.

Here is what happens when I try to cat an audio file to /dev/audio:

potter:~# ls -l /dev/audio
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   4 Mar 14  2002 /dev/audio
potter:~# cat /usr/share/xfce/sounds/alert01.wav > /dev/audio
su: /dev/audio: No such device

I've fiddled with the sound config options in my window manager, but not found
anything usefull in troubleshooting.

Anyone got advice on troubleshooting pci sound card issues?

--
Allons Rouler!

Randy