[CLUE-Tech] sound card config

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sun Oct 20 20:52:59 MDT 2002

On Sunday, 20 October 2002 at 20:41:11 -0600, David Anselmi wrote:
> Randy Arabie wrote:
> >I've never actually configured a sound card on linux...but am trying now.
> >
> >I've got a Sound Blaster PCI 128.  I compiled sound support into my
> >kernel, the ES1371.
>
> You mentioned compiling a kernel before.  Why did you do that?  Debian's
> kernel packages seem pretty good to me, and you can build any wierd
> modules you want without compiling the kernel.  The advantages of a
> custom kernel seem small to me, and outweighed by the ease of upgrading
> using the kernel packages.  Not trying to start a religious discussion,
> just curious about your reasons.

To get smp support.

> >dmesg shows this info on the driver:
> >
> >es1371: version v0.30 time 16:20:09 Oct 20 2002
> >
> >But that is it, nothing about the card.
> >
> >I thought that was all I would need to do, but so far I've got no sound.
> >
> >Looking at some debian doco, and plowing through google groups, it seems I
> >should be able to find info on my config in /proc/sound.  But, I have no
> >/proc/sound.
> >
> >Looking in /proc/ioports I do find this:
> >
> >cc00-cc3f : Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI]
>
> So you probably want the 1370 driver rather than the 1371 (see, now you
> get to recompile rather than just changing out modules).

I didn't think there was an option for a 1370 driver, and I did find mention
on several newsgroup posts that the 1371 will drive the 1370 chipset cards.
Perhaps that was bad info....I don't know.  So, to double check I just grepped
through my kernel config file and see there is an es1370, so I'll build it in
and see if I have better luck.  I sure don't know why I didn't see that option
in the xconfig screen.

Thanks Dave.
--
Allons Rouler!