[CLUE-Tech] backup question

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Mon Oct 21 15:01:52 MDT 2002

> Sierra Club Rocky Mountain Chapter's mail/web server in Boulder is a pentium
> running Red Hat.
>
> we want to acquire an external backup drive.  Thoughts on what hardware works
> best with linux are appreciated.

I've had great luck with my Ecrix VXA-1. I read on their site that you
can get them for about $500 new and the media (like all non-DDS tape
media) is marginally expensive. They have linux binaries for their drive
setup tools as well. I've used BRU, tar, and dump with this drive with
no problem. It is also compatible with Amanda as well.

You should be able to get by with their 10GB tapes on a typical
mailserver (unless you are doing a lot of mail or IMAP). I got five
tapes a year ago for ~$150. Their tape replacement policy is also top
notch. You can internal or external drives in IDE or SCSI (mine is
SCSI).

JStanley