[CLUE-Tech] Ricochet is in Denver

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Sep 3 16:22:12 MDT 2002

Jeremiah Stanley wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between Kbps and
> Kb. This is a marketing discrimination that distorts what they are
> advertising. A Kb is a 1024 bits per second, while a Kpbs is one eigth
> that size or 0.125 Kb. This explains why modems are 56k but pull about
> 6-7k/sec.

As Jed says, the difference is bytes/sec (Bps) or bits/sec (bps).  K
means either 1000 or 1024 and it is difficult to tell which is meant.

In the modem world, at least originally, there were 10 bits per byte
(most connections were 8n1--eight data bits, no parity, and one stop
bit--plus one start bit for a total of 10).  So 2400bps was 240Bps.
With the faster speeds sending several bits per baud and with DSL and
cable waveforms differing from RS232, I don't know how their bps convert
to Bps.  But a factor of 8 seems reasonable.  I've seen that suggested
before, but it ignores any framing bits (there are always at least 40
bytes in a TCP packet, but those are usually counted as data when
talking about throughput).