[CLUE-Tech] wierd icmp syslog errors

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Mon Sep 9 17:52:11 MDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 05:31:20PM -0600, Michael Robbert wrote:
> Is this the same problem that you wrote here about in June? That is the
> first thing that I found on google was your previous letter.
> I have never used icmplogd, but my guess is that you have no route to
> localhost(127.0.0.1).
> You should have a line that looks like:
> 127.0.0.0     *        255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo

okay - I added that route by hand; see if it works - certainly the
breakage comes from me playing with diffherent kernals and firewall
schemes on that box - the distro probably had it right at the start.

I just do not understand how I could ping or ssh to localhost and still
get syslog errors about the route ... (fm?) If it works, I will add it
to debian's /etc/networks/interfaces in case I ever need to reboot the
box.

FWIW the route command i used was:

dbx:/home/davep# route add  127.0.0.1 lo

So far the logs indicate that that worked.

aloha (and thanks for slapping me with the obvious)
dave