[CLUE-Tech] weird apache error?

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Sep 16 12:20:47 MDT 2002

> gotten this error on several Dell servers now, all running 2.4.18 kernels from
> kernel.org (not Red Hat kernels):

Yay!  Stock kernels suck.

> Starting httpd: Ouch! ap_mm_create(1048576, "/var/run/httpd.mm.13626") failed
> Error: MM: mm:core: failed to acquire semaphore (No space left on device): OS: Invalid argument

My first inkling is to do a 'df -h' to see how much disk space you have
lying around.  Is /var full? is /tmp full?  You've managed to find the
code in the file, but have you checked your disks?

If the server's been running fro some time, it may be filling up a
temporary area and then failing. When you reboot, it may clear that area,
and allow it to run a while longer.  I have some *huge* logs (500M) that I
have to rotate every once and a while, but I must say I've never run out
of disk space as a result (Big Brother tells me if I'm getting close).

Anyway, check your disks, and check your disks once you get the message.
I bet you are having issues with disk space, at least, from what I see in
the error.

Adam Bultman
adam at glaven.org
[ http://www.glaven.org ]