[CLUE-Tech] Seeking advice on Unix vs. Linux general and TCP/IP programming

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Fri Sep 20 07:54:00 MDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:33:48PM -0600, bof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to learn more about Unix programming in general and TCP/IP
> programming in specific, and have been looking at the following sources:
>
>     Stevens's Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment (APUE)
>     Stevens's TCP/IP programming series (3 volumes)
>     Comer's Internetworking with TCP/IP (3 volumes)

Stevens was a top-notch writer, very clear and lucid.  I highly recommend
any of his books.  I have APUE, Unix Network Programming (UNP, 1st ed.), and
the three volume TCP/IP series.  If you're starting out with TCP, sockets,
system calls, APUE and/or UNP should be just fine.  The TCP/IP Illustrated
series are very detailed, and probably more than what you want at this stage.

http://www.kohala.com/start/
http://dan.drydog.com/6bone/w.richard.stevens.obituary.html

--
Tom Poindexter