Thank you: [CLUE-Tech] cannot get ftpd started

Jason Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Sat Sep 21 21:32:26 MDT 2002

Thanks, Jim, for your reply.

It ended up not being any of the things you suggested, though those were things that at one time or another have "gotten" me.  And the "netstat -nap | grep :21" command is handy, I'll hold onto that one.

For whatever it's worth, I think the problem was this:

root at charles /etc/xinetd.d $ ll *ftp*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          325 Sep 14 19:30 gssftp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          492 Sep 14 19:30 tftp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          275 Sep 15 17:22 vsftpd
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          361 Sep 21 03:28 wu-ftpd

These files appear in /etc/xinetd.d as a result of an "install everything" install of RedHat 7.3.

root at charles /etc/xinetd.d $ grep 'disable' *ftp*
gssftp:	disable	= yes
tftp:	disable	= yes
vsftpd:	disable	= no
wu-ftpd:	disable	= no

I think xinetd may have been trying to start both vsftpd and wu-ftpd.  I wonder why it wouldn't pick one (even randomly)?   Anyway, after disabling vsftpd, my FTP server is answering requests.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!