[CLUE-Tech] crontab not working

Ski Dawg skidawg at plbb.net
Wed Sep 25 12:34:19 MDT 2002

I am having a problem with my crontab file. I loaded Red Hat 7.3 on a
new computer (clean install). I then did a crontab -e and added the
following line:

*/5 * * * * /home/skidawg/bin/sigscript.sh

The problem is that this is not being executed. This same notation has
worked correctly on other Red Hat 7.3 boxes that I have tried it on. I
have also tried using

* * * * * /home/skidawg/bin/sigscript.sh

(just to make sure) but that doesn't make a difference. If I just type
/home/skidawg/bin/sigscript.sh at the command line, the script executes
as expected.

I have checked and the cron daemon is running (in run levels 3,4,and 5).
There are also some things the system automatically installed and set up
being run correctly from cron.

I check the cron logs in /var/log and there is no mention of my script
even being called (no errors or success stories). It does show in the
logs when I have edited the crontab file but no errors were shown. The
logs show some system things being run (like cron.daily and cron.hourly)
but not my script.

I have searched google and google groups to no avail. I have found
others with similar problems, but I haven't found a fix yet that works.

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with my script. I have
successfully run this exact same script (through cron and command line)
on a different Red Hat 7.3 machine and it worked correctly.

Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

--
Doug

Registered Linux User #285548
http://counter.li.org
Random Thought:

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"